Reflections, a Ubisoft studio is a video games development company based in Newcastle, UK. Collaborating with Ubisoft's international creative teams on projects such as Assassins Creed Syndicate, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon, online open-world RPG "The Division" as well as the adventure platformer "Grow Home". With a host of other top titles to our name such as open-world action adventure 'Watch Dogs', MMO racer "The Crew" and the latest instalment in the world's No.1 dance game franchise 'Just Dance 2015' Reflections' objective is to combine technical expertise, flair and innovation to create and contribute to successful and memorable games. We are looking for Pioneering, Obsessive Humans to cement its reputation as an industry leading studio within the UK and the world.
Work within a collaborative multidiscipline environment implementing features related to in-game menus, HUD and user interface according to the requirements of the UI Lead, Design Lead and Lead Programmer.
- Implement practical and timely solutions that meet the game design and technical requirements;
- Implement code that is modular, self-contained, and defensive and observes the technical constraints on the system;
- Work as a key part of an agile development team, taking responsibility for organising and planning their own work;
- Ensure coding standards are followed, and help to enforce good programming practices within the engineering team;
- Maintain technical documentation for the engineering team as well as other disciplines;
- Optimise code and data for memory usage and performance as required;
- Write debugging tools for programmers, level designers and artists;
- Read the game design documents to understand the intended player experience;
- In collaboration with engine programmers, provide development interface tools (debug) for gameplay programmers;
- In collaboration with design and programming teams, quickly prototype interaction concepts for the game;
- Oversee the programming of the modules that underlie the user interface (e.g. ActionScript Flash modules);
- Optimise user interface module code so that it can be implemented on game consoles;
- Interact and collaborate with different departments (design, art, programming, etc.);
- In collaboration with the graphic designer, integrate designs and animation (timeline or code);
- Carry out all other relevant tasks;
- Support the Lead Programmer with any ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
- Passionate about playing and making games, and has a good knowledge of the games industry in general and online gaming in particular;
- Excellent C/C++ programming skills, with excellent knowledge of object oriented development;
- Able to plan and estimate their own tasks and ensure timely delivery of work, and assist with the planning of work for more junior members of the team;
- Self-motivated and pro-active with a strong work ethic;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent knowledge of common algorithms, data structures and patterns, and the ability to apply them to problems while keeping constraints and performance in mind;
- Able to analyse unfamiliar code of a reasonable complexity to understand and extend the functionality of an existing module;
- Knowledge of different software development methods such as Test Driven Development, Unit Testing, Agile etc.;
- Able to debug defects of a reasonable complexity, including memory related issues, multi-threading, and assembly level debugging;
- Knowledge of platform-holders’ requirements as applicable.
- Experience with commonly used development tools such as Visual Studio and Perforce;
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject or equivalent industry experience;
- Substantial commercial software development experience with significant involvement in 1 published game in a UI programming capacity.
Salary: Competitive + Relocation
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K