Reflections, a Ubisoft studio is a video games development company based in Newcastle, UK.
Collaborating with Ubisoft's international creative teams on projects such as Assassins Creed Syndicate, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon, online open-world RPG "The Division" as well as the adventure platformer "Grow Home". With a host of other top titles to our name such as open-world action adventure 'Watch Dogs', MMO racer "The Crew" and the latest instalment in the world's No.1 dance game franchise 'Just Dance 2015' Reflections' objective is to combine technical expertise, flair and innovation to create and contribute to successful and memorable games. We are looking for Pioneering, Obsessive Humans to cement its reputation as an industry leading studio within the UK and the world.
Be responsible for, advise on and improve the quality of lighting effects for the project and ensure that the work is in line with technical and artistic constraints while supporting the Lead Artist on management focused tasks.
- Produce high quality lighting solutions through any stage of the production process in respect of the project’s technical and artistic constraints;
- Support the Lead to ensure a successful sign off process for own and others work by conducting reviews, critiquing work and providing suitable feedback;
- Set and share best practices, production pipelines and workflows within the group;
- Communicate and collaborate with key stakeholders to confirm task direction and ensure consistency of work within the team;
- Work closely with the Art Director to achieve the desired lighting and mood required for the game;
- Share knowledge and motivate artists within the team;
- Be a reference for the art team in relation to various artistic elements and find solutions to complex issues that arise;
- Efficiently communicate and support messages from management;
- Suggest standard artistic references - in video games or in other artistic domains - in order to improve the visual aspect of the game;
- Plan, estimate and prioritise time frames for the completion of tasks and track progress using the designated tracking tools;
- Work with the Level Designers and Environment Artists to establish lighting and enhance gameplay;
- Actively participate in the implementation of more efficient work methods;
- Optimise work and maintain balance between quality and performance;
- Understand the game design documents in regards to the environments, objectives, atmospheres, story and style and use them to create game levels;
- Support the Lead Artist and other senior artists in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong working knowledge of relevant 3D software (e.g. Maya or 3DS Max etc.);
- Knowledge of industry game engines and production pipelines;
- In-depth knowledge of Adobe Photoshop;
- In-depth knowledge of particle driven effects and shader systems;
- Solid knowledge of lighting, atmospheric effects and subsequent systems;
- Strong knowledge of Physically Based Rendering and Linear workflows;
- In-depth knowledge of colour grading and other post process effects;
- Knowledge of data management software (such as Perforce);
- Knowledge of workload management software/principles (e.g. Jira);
- Knowledge of the video game industry and awareness of typical video game development
- 5 years’ minimum experience in shading, texture, special effects, image processing or other
- Bachelor’s degree in visual effects or other relevant training;
- Has shipped at least 1 or more games as a lighting artist; preferably full project
cycle on ‘AAA’ console titles;
- Experience working within a photo realistic environment.
Salary: Competitive + Relocation
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K