As a Tools Engineer you will work on an established in-house suite of tools used by the designers, artists, and engineers to create the next big game in the award winning Destiny franchise.
In 2016, Vicarious Visions celebrated its 25th year making video games. Over the years, we have made hundreds of games, in every genre, on every conceivable game platform in the known universe. If there is a device with two buttons and a screen, VV has released for it. We are a studio that is built to last.
Our philosophy of combining cutting-edge tech with creative innovation is evidenced in all of our products – from Skylanders to Marvel Ultimate Alliance to Tony Hawk to Guitar Hero; we apply the same dedication to excellence to every major video game franchise we’ve worked on over the years.
We thrive on a culture of collaboration, respect and fun. We have built a welcoming and relaxed workplace that invites creativity and encourages individual voices. We not only give our developers a safe, warm place to incubate and grow their ideas but the tools and support necessary to turn those ideas into impactful and memorable experiences.
Candidates with strong GUI engineering, object oriented design, user experience design (UX), and debugging skills are eagerly wanted. Experience in video game development is a plus, but not required.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Create, maintain and improve content development tools used across multiple game projects.
• Collaborate closely and effectively with artists, designers and game programmers on the requirements and design of software tools.
• Design, implement, debug and optimize software primarily in C# and WPF.
• Produce mockups and lead thorough design discussions of new features.
• Abide by and contribute to group standards and best practices, and participate in code reviews based on them.
• Writing code and feature documentation for both engineers and creatives.
• In-person troubleshooting with users of the tools.
The skills & experience we’re looking for:
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent experience.
• At least 3-5 years professional experience developing applications through all phases of the product lifecycle.
• Relevant software tool development experience. Video Game industry experience is not required.
• Strong OO design and development experience in C# and .NET. Experience in C, C++, or other languages is a plus.
• Experience in Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) or similar presentation frameworks is strongly desired. Experience in other windowing toolkits, e.g. WinForms, is a plus.
• Experience creating GUI applications with an emphasis on usability and architectural patterns (e.g. MVVM).
• Strong communication skills, able to collaborate closely with the tools' users and discover what they need.
• Knowledge of 3ds Max, Maya, and common scripting languages is a plus, but not required.
We're looking for candidates who appreciate the value of bringing great user experiences to sophisticated tools, and can provide unique value to a small team of talented engineers. What can you offer?
We encourage you to be ready to show and discuss your contribution to applications from prior experience. You may be asked to provide coding samples and/or take a short technical test.
Our studio is located in Albany, NY, a thriving Northeast city with an abundance of professional theatre, music, dance, sports, and a backyard full of recreational activities. (That’s a metaphorical backyard. The studio’s backyard has a patio and grill though…with seasonal awning.) And for those looking for more adventures, we’re located less than three hours from NYC, Boston, and Montreal!