We are looking for a seasoned storyteller who can help us bring The Coalition's next big Gears of War stories to life. This individual will help us develop and implement the characters, story arc, emotional tone, pacing, dialogue, and flavor of a story that will shape the spirit of this new franchise. The Narrative Designer is responsible for the execution of the game story. The core of this role is to work with key stakeholders and writers to craft an enthralling character-driven story and define how the narrative will be delivered through different game systems. The Lead Narrative Designer must collaborate closely with other designers, developers, and artists across the studio to ensure seamless integration of story and gameplay.
- Act as a champion of story, characters, and emotional engagement across the game and game team.
- Collaborate to define a compelling story that takes the player on a hero's journey, with a keen eye to story structure and pacing
- Research to support character and plot development
- Work with writers to write, edit and approve game dialogue and combat chatter.
- Design and document interactive narrative systems to facilitate story and emotional delivery to player.
- Maintain a story bible that includes game dialogue documentation, character information, world backstory, storyboards, and cinematic development plans.
- Collaborate and liase with external narrative teams on transmedia opportunities for the franchise.
- Collaborate with game designers to execute on narrative goals through gameplay systems and mission design.
- Collaborate with concept and storyboard artists to visualize narrative elements.
- Collaborate with the audio department on emotional tone of the sound design, including music selection
- Assist with casting actors and directing voice and mocap performances as needed.
- Manage own schedule to accommodate the narrative deliverables of the project and propose solutions for conflicts that arise.
- Avid gamer with a solid understanding of the game development process.
- Understands the differences between writing for games and writing for other mediums.
- Understands and embraces the idea that the story must be highly flexible and adaptable throughout the game's development.
- In-depth knowledge of industry trends in interactive storytelling, with a genuine interest in creatively advancing the story medium.
- Knowledgeable in a variety of fiction genres and up-to-date with pop culture.
- Ability to develop visual theory into production-ready concepts as well as written and physical specifications for game narrative implementation.
- Fluent in narrative techniques to elicit audience emotion.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Proven ability at successful multi-tasking under great pressure.
Nice to have:
- Experience with game editors and scripting systems.
- Great to have: Understanding of Gears of War stories and lore.
ABOUT THE COALITION:
The Coalition is a growing team of talented, creative, fun-loving professionals from around the world who are united in their passion for Gears of War. Located in Vancouver, Canada, the studio is dedicated to pushing the Gears franchise to new heights with its belief that if you want to go far, go together.