Ubisoft Québec is a leader in the video game industry and is located in the heart of Quebec City’s Saint-Roch neighbourhood. Involved in many of Ubisoft’s flagship franchises, the studio gained a strong expertise, leading to its implication in the development of AAA games. By the end of 2016, the team will exceed 400 people, all of which are united by the desire of pushing boundaries, building high quality worlds and creating memorable gaming experiences.
The level artist will represent the gameplay intentions as part of the graphic content of one or several game levels and ensure that the integration of the work is in line with the technical constraints and artistic direction.
The main and routine tasks of the level artist are to:
* Understand the game design documents to know the environments, objectives, atmospheres, story and style to create game levels;
* Understand the visual references, respect the artistic direction and search for more detailed and specific graphic references for the level(s);
* Understand project tools and their functions, the project file classification system and the process to update engine data and follow all instructions from the Graphic technical director;
* Set out the modelling and texturing needs, submit orders to modellers and texturers responsible for the map; follow up on the progress and quality of the work with the Project leader - Graphic;
* Assess level content with the immediate supervisor and establish time and planning estimates by priority and level;
* Build the rough map of the level with the level designer to show the preliminary graphic intentions, gameplays and ensure they are approved;
* Integrate the objects and textures that are produced into the level, create, assemble the key elements and determine a lighting intention in the map that is in keeping with the artistic direction;
* Act as a resource person for the artistic team for the map and level by answering questions from team members and informing artists of changes due to technical constraints;
* Ensure the technical and artistic quality of the maps once they are imported into the game by making any necessary changes and addressing issues with team members from other working units whenever necessary;
* Oversee optimization and debugging to fix the issues raised by testers;
* Carry out all other related tasks.
College diploma in modelling for video games or equivalent.
Minimum 5-7 years’ experience in modelling, texture, lighting and image processing or other relevant experience.
Skills and Knowledge
* Ability to accept feedback and adapt to change;
* Sense of initiative;
* Good interpersonal and communication skills;
* Ability to work as part of a team;
* Originality and resourcefulness in problem solving;
* Knowledge of image composition;
* Basic gameplay and level design knowledge;
* Knowledge of optimization techniques (e.g. 3D Studio Max);
* Knowledge of ways to create atmospheres (lighting, artistic composition, etc.).