Ubisoft Québec is a leader in the video game industry and is located in the heart of Quebec City’s Saint-Roch neighbourhood. Involved in many of Ubisoft’s flagship franchises, the studio gained a strong expertise, leading to its implication in the development of AAA games. By the end of 2016, the team will exceed 400 people, all of which are united by the desire of pushing boundaries, building high quality worlds and creating memorable gaming experiences.
The lighting specialist will design quality lighting effects (game and cut scenes) to create atmospheres and direct the player’s attention based on the artistic direction, gameplay/design/game narration, technological limitations and production deadlines.
* Understand the game design and artistic direction documents to become familiar with the challenges that will impact game lighting and be able to propose atmosphere and lighting ideas;
* Work with the Graphic technical director and programmers to create lighting-specific tools and features;
* Design lighting systems that will support the atmosphere and gameplay effects and highlight the work of other working units;
* In addition to light sources, set out the selected moods and atmospheres;
* Have the artistic director and technical director validate the quality of the lighting and make any changes that are requested;
* Verify the quality of the lighting once the elements are imported into the game and make any necessary improvements;
* Communicate with other working units to look into the root causes of lighting issues;
* Be a point of contact for other project working groups and production sites (outsourcing) for technical lighting issues to solve any lighting problems and enhance the quality of the product;
* Fix the lighting bugs entered by testers;
* Optimize the lighting effects to produce the best possible lighting, in keeping with the technical limitations of the engine;* Carry out all other related tasks.
College diploma in modelling for video games or equivalent.Relevant
* Minimum 1-3 years’ experience in shading, texture, special effects, image processing or another relevant field;
* Experience in photography an asset;
* Experience in computer graphics or pre-rendering an asset.
Skills and Knowledge
* Sense of initiative and proactivity;
* Attention to detail;
* Ability to accept feedback and adapt to change;
* Originality and resourcefulness when setting out solutions;
* Extensive knowledge of lighting, colour and image composition;
* Knowledge of other video game production working units;
* Solid artistic knowledge of lighting techniques, realtime and pre-rendering.