A Thinking Ape is a growing independent mobile games startup with big ambitions. Our years of success comes down to our belief in people: Both our staff and our players. We build games that foster communities and provide our players with tools to interact in deeply strategic and passionate ways, creating games that become a part of our player’s lives. However, building games of this quality is challenging, so we work hard to find the smartest and most talented people in the world, then give them the freedom to do their best work.
A Thinking Ape is looking for an artistically talented UI Designer for a full-time role in our Vancouver, B.C. office.
We’re looking for a creative specialist with a history of game UI design and 2D illustration experience. You should be passionate about taking ownership in a startup environment and creating world-class mobile products.
As a UI/UX Designer you will:
- Design, create and maintain visual designs for game user interfaces
- Create wireframes and mock-ups
- Work closely with product leads, game designers and engineers in product development
- Prepare assets for production and work closely with engineers throughout implementation
Your background should include:
- Experience and passion for designing game user interfaces
- 2D illustration skills
- A compelling portfolio showcasing a variety of genres and styles
- Expertise with the Adobe suite
- Strong typography, colour, iconography and layout skills
Tell us if you:
- Have experience in mobile apps
- Have worked in collaborative, cross-functional environments
- Have project management experience
- Have an understanding of today’s front-end technologies
We are a startup and the work will challenge you in all areas of the design process; from UI design to asset procurement and management. As one of our resident UI Designers you will have the opportunity to develop into a leadership role as we grow.
A Thinking Ape is built to allow you to do great work. We champion a culture of ownership, based on exploration and debate regardless of position. Our team is supported with an open concept studio space, movable standing workstations and employee-determined work schedules. We keep communication flowing with quarterly State of the Ape meetings, face time with founders and regular one-on-ones with your team lead.
Other perks our apes enjoy:
- Earn a fat pay cheque with very large year end bonuses
- Employee stock options
- $1500 per year towards your professional development
- Health & dental coverage for you and your family, including MSP and travel
Work life balance:
More awesomeness like
- Enjoy extra personal / flex days on top of your annual vacation
- Fitness reimbursement allowance to keep you healthy
- Monthly social & teambuilding events
- Flexible hours
- Play on our company hockey or dodgeball teams
- Participate in weekly board game / Wii tournaments
- Employee referral bonus
- Well stocked kitchen with unlimited snacks
- Weekly catered lunches
- Birthday and anniversary celebrations
- Massage chair
- Awesome swag
If you’re ready to make the next generation of top grossing mobile games, we’d love to hear from you!