Starbreeze is strengthening up the team and is now looking for a Concept Artist to join our kick-ass team in Stockholm.
Working with the creative leads and the wider Development Team, you will be solely, or as part of a collective of concept artists, responsible in helping establish, develop and maintain the artistic vision for our titles.
Through rapid visual conceptualisation, pre-production art specifically for others to follow to create art assets, creating final quality game assets and key art for in-game or external marketing - you will be highly competent in conceptualising unique and believable characters, creating breath-taking and intriguing worlds. You will be part of a dynamic team and empowered to help drive the direction and mood of our games.
- Set the style and define visuals of new titles in the studio. Working closely with our creative leads to help bring new worlds to life. Iterate on mood, setting and art style to find the perfect fit.
- Produce sketches, quick-paints and annotations to create briefs for Art Teams - to help them completely understand your work in order to correctly reproduce the style and bring them life.
- Create in-game artwork and assets ranging from backgrounds and characters, to in-game objects and icons.
- Rapidly developing ideas and producing high quality, evocative artwork for new game concepts and project pitches within the studio. Supporting artwork for presentation slides to accompany the Key Art images.
- Create key images to be presented out to the media at various stages of our games developments.
- Sketch and rapidly iterate ideas and collaborate with other concept artists.
- Collaborate with the Creative director, 3D artists and developers.
- Support the Art Director to define a games style through concept and exploration processes.
- Develop detailed concept art and orthographics for the 3D artists to work from.
- Research and collect story tropes, archetypes and narrative devices.
To be successful in this position you have:
- Ability to have amazing use of light and colour
- A deep understanding of perspective
- Ability to design characters and environments from idea to final concept
- Ability to concept realistic characters and environments
- An understanding of visual design principles
- Ability to capture key moods and lighting in the early stages of work
- Understanding of silhouettes and value relationships
- Ability to create finished quality illustrations as well as rough sketches.
- Ability to iterate quickly on feedback given by the Art Director and Creative Team.
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience creating style guides
- Great knowledge of genres from comic books to ancient mythology.
- Player focussed, designing art that is fit for purpose within a game
- A passion for games
- Fluent in English, both verbally and in writing
- Able to rapidly produce sketches to illustrate concepts & ideas
- Comfortable working closely with a creative team - able to visually and verbally get their ideas across in creative discussions
- Adaptable - Can quickly pick-up new skills and ways of working and able to work in a wide range of styles
- High quality Artwork - sketches through to final Key Art, always well and proudly presented
- Can create exceptional, dynamic and evocative, sketching and high quality character, environment and prop illustrations that excite and delight the team
- Have very good knowledge of Photoshop & standard industry packages - knowledge of 3D software, game engines and video editing tools is an advantage
We want someone who wants to make an impact on the games industry with their artwork.
Still reading? Great!
We offer you a position at a dynamic and rapidly growing company where we live and die by gameplay. While we grow, we want you to grow with us and to evolve in your professional development and make our games kick-ass within the entertainment industry.
Sounds good? Then we can't wait to see your resume and meet you!