A Thinking Ape is a growing independent mobile games startup with big ambitions. Our years of success comes down to our belief in people: Both our staff and our players. We build games that foster communities and provide our players with tools to interact in deeply strategic and passionate ways, creating games that become a part of our player’s lives. However, building games of this quality is challenging, so we work hard to find the smartest and most talented people in the world, then give them the freedom to do their best work.
A Thinking Ape is looking for an experienced Unity Software Engineer to work on a new project in development at our studio in Vancouver, B.C.
While bringing your expert knowledge of Unity to this project, software engineers at A Thinking Ape are also technical generalists: scientists at heart, and engineers at work. You should be comfortable with designing and implementing applications from whiteboard diagram to production, enjoy working on massive scale technical problems, and have the itch to make something people want.
As a Unity Software Engineer you will:
- Use your experience in Unity to help us build a top grossing game
- Help develop our studio’s expertise in Unity by sharing your extensive knowledge
- Design services for a large number of concurrent users
- Implement scalable, reliable and maintainable technologies for our mobile and web platforms
Your background should include:
- Expert knowledge of Unity
- Proven experience building games with Unity in a studio environment
- Solid knowledge and understanding of web architecture
- Clear communication in code and in writing
- Interest in metrics and data analysis
Tell us if you:
Have worked on an open source project (link us to the Github)
Have developed your own iPhone, Android, or Facebook app
Made something cool with Unity, Python, Objective-C, HTML5
Hold a BSc., MSc., or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering or equivalent
We are a startup and as a developer you will have the ability to influence the design and development of nearly everything that we build. You will have to be very comfortable with ownership and management of your projects. As such, you will have the potential to develop into an engineering leadership and management role over time as we grow.
A Thinking Ape is built to allow you to do great work. We champion a culture of ownership, based on exploration and debate regardless of position. Our team is supported with an open concept studio space, movable standing workstations and employee-determined work schedules. We keep communication flowing with quarterly State of the Ape meetings, face time with founders and regular one-on-ones with your team lead.
Other perks our apes enjoy:
- Earn a fat pay cheque with very large year end bonuses
- Employee stock options
- $1500 per year towards your professional development
- Health & dental coverage for you and your family, including MSP and travel
Work life balance:
- Enjoy extra personal / flex days on top of your annual vacation
- Fitness reimbursement allowance to keep you healthy
- Monthly social & teambuilding events
- Flexible hours
- Play on our company hockey or dodgeball teams
- Participate in weekly board game / Wii tournaments
More awesomeness like:
- Employee referral bonus
- Well stocked kitchen with unlimited snacks
- Weekly catered lunches
- Birthday and anniversary celebrations
- Massage chair
- Awesome swag
If you’re ready to make the next generation of top grossing mobile games, we’d love to hear from you!