The special effects artist will create and integrate high-quality special effects, in keeping with the creative direction, technological constraints and production deadlines.
The main and routine tasks of the special effects artist are to:
* Understand the game design documents and artistic direction to comprehend the creative direction and have an overall idea of the sign off features;
* Find reference images and videos of the intended effects and validate these references with the artistic director;
* See with the graphic design TD if the intended special effects can be created in the engine and suggest alternatives or development options (ex: tools) whenever necessary;
* Collaborate with the DT to adapt the pipeline to ensure that it fosters the production of the special effects and determine memory and performance budgets;
* Work in collaboration with programmers to develop adapted tools to meet special effects requirements;
* Use available tools (particle systems, modelling, texturing, etc.) to create the special effects requested by the artistic team and integrate these effects into the engine;
* Validate the quality of the effects once they are imported into the game and make any necessary changes in an effort to maximize the user experience;
* Optimize the special effects on an ongoing basis and account for modifications and technological constraints throughout the project to ensure that the special effects remain of high quality;
* Foster game accessibility by adapting the various special effects based on comments from the game design team before, during and after the creation of the special effects;
* Fix the bugs entered by testers and other working units;
* Communicate with other working units to help members integrate special effects by providing reference documents and other types of support;
* Carry out all other related tasks.
College diploma in a video game-related field, bachelor’s degree in special effects/film or any other relevant training.
Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in modelling, texturing, lighting and image processing or other relevant experience.
Skills and Knowledge
* Attention to detail;
* Sense of initiative and proactivity;
* Ability to accept feedback and adapt to change;
* Ability to work under pressure;
* Originality and resourcefulness in problem-solving;
* Knowledge and interest in programming languages an asset (e.g. Max Script);
* Knowledge of game editors (e.g. Unreal, Source, etc.);
* Knowledge of compositionning software (e.g. After Effects, Houdini, Toxic, etc.).