This is an opportunity to join a growing and stable development studio in the vibrant heart of Liverpool’s city centre. Firesprite was founded by the team behind Sony’s Liverpool studio - best known for making the Wipeout games - and has gone on to create an envious portfolio of titles across many different genres.
We are seeking a Technical Director as part of the senior team on one of our exciting new projects. This development will focus on ground-breaking new technology, across both hardware and software advances, to deliver a Best In Class game that will serve as a benchmark title that others will follow. You will be responsible for setting the technical standards used on this game – and in relation to other titles within the studio - necessary for supporting the delivery of the project’s design and artistic goals. You will have good knowledge of existing game technologies and will be keen to explore new opportunities and technological breakthroughs that provide the development of this title with a technical cutting edge. Working with the Art Director, Game Director and Development Director you will be responsible for managing the development of this title from the initial R&D phase through to final delivery.
You will be part of an enthusiastic and talented team that has consistently delivered quality titles. This is an opportunity to fill a key role on a brand new project that has both the publisher support and design potential to be a major release on the world stage.
- Research and analyse the available technologies to determine which best suit this project – from engine choice through middleware and beyond
- With the Technical Leads, help manage the programming process and identify the programming tasks. Work closely with programming leads and production to plan out the process, key risks and deliverables
- Ensure that the game is built with a productive methodology and solid coding practices, technical briefs and code reviews, always keeping in mind long term quality and future code sharing between projects
- Identify technical risks on projects and develop contingency plans that the team will execute upon
- Work closely with Design and Art directors to identify advances and trends in gaming, and adapt to implement features which are shown to be key to improving and enhancing the final experience
- Facilitate communication both within and across disciplines, instilling and reinforcing a solid philosophy of problem solving, alongside the Studio’s Core Technical Team (CTT)
- Maintain a continual working relationship across other teams within the studio, alongside the CTT, to further the use of shared technologies
- Demonstrate qualities of good leadership, enthusiasm and sense of commitment and foster these within the programming team
- Help direct the recruitment, on-boarding, development and professional training of the programming team
- Assist the Lead Programmers in managing the performance of the programming team and their direct reports
- Advanced understanding of C++ and debugging
- Solid proficiency in optimization techniques
- Excellent understanding of performance sensitive programming
- An exceptional understanding of Software Engineering practices and principles, e.g.
- Object Oriented programming, etc.
- Excellent understanding of CPU and GPU architecture bottlenecks
- Strong understanding of multithreaded/parallel programming
- Exceptional management and communication skills
- Experience on working with AAA game engines and full understanding of their architecture
- Knowledge of common graphics APIs (OpenGL/ES, Metal, Vulkan, DirectX) and shader languages is a bonus
- At least 5 years of leadership experience, in the games industry and preferably 2 years of more in a similar role
- Experienced in developing AAA and shipping titles on console platforms – must have shipped at least one game