Brighton, England, United Kingdom · Art
At Electric Square, the worlds we create are key to our games and making an amazing experience for our players. This year has seen our first release, The Grand Tour: The Game on PS4 and Xbox One with other exciting top secret projects currently in development and even more about to kick start!
2 studios, 120 people, 4 projects and 5 dogs... We put total emphasis on making sure our staff are as happy as possible, which is why Electric Square has a rating of 4.8 out of 5 for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor :)
The Technical Artist is an expert in their field and holds a wealth of knowledge in dealing with the technical issues around content creation for video games. The TA will produce work that is at the highest level of quality and difficulty and have a proven track record of resolving the most complex and broad reaching challenges in relationship to content construction, pipeline management and cutting-edge visuals.
This is a future-facing role, in addition to current best practices and competitive awareness, the TA is expected to understand emerging trends and technologies in video game content and make strategic recommendations as to how they may benefit and/or impact project development.
The TA makes critical contributions to key initiatives and projects and participates in setting product vision within the studio. Areas the TA is responsible for include visual R&D, performance monitoring, authoring content for in-game use, as well as tool and pipeline development.
- Collaborate with the art team to ensure their efficiency and advice on any technical issues that arise. Help them communicate their technical needs to the development team.
- Creatively solve technical challenges and limitations to maximise cutting edge visuals within hardware limitations.
- Create tools, scripts and pipelines to author visual content and ensure maximum optimisation.
- Collaborate with other technical experts within the company to define clear goals for the toolset, pipeline and construction processes.
- Prototyping, developing, profiling and implementing procedural VFX (particles, post processing, shaders, …).
- Driving the creation of complex procedural and physically based content.
Programming languages: MAXScript, MEL, C#, C++, Python, PowerShell, Bash
Skills: VFX, material art, lighting, tool development, optimisation, pipeline development
Software/Tools: Photoshop, Houdini, Unreal Engine, Unity, Substance Painter, Substance Designer, Maya, 3DS Max, Perforce
When you join Electric Square you can expect to enjoy a unique culture. Whether its participating and relaxing with one of our wellness benefits or discussing the latest games over lunch cooked one of Brighton's incredible pop-up diners. The Studio knows that it’s the best people that make the best games and this is what Electric Square invests in. Below you will find all the benefits and perks you can enjoy as an Electric Square team member.
- Holidays - 23 days’ annual leave entitlement including studio closure over the Christmas period plus all UK bank holidays
- Bonus Anniversary Holidays - An additional day of annual leave for each year’s anniversary working at Electric Square, up to a maximum of 30 days of annual leave entitlement.
- Generous Team Project Bonuses
- Company Pension Scheme – Employer contribution matching award winning pension scheme provided by NEST under the UK governments automatic enrolment scheme.
- Private Medical Insurance Scheme – Full private medical cover provided by AXA PPP Private Healthcare.
- Health and Well-being Allowance – £50 per month to spend on your choice of a range of healthy activities, ranging from going to the gym, rock climbing, yoga and a lovely massage. It's on us!
- Private Dental Insurance Scheme – Full private dental cover provided under our Dental plan company scheme.
- Cycle to Work Scheme – Salary sacrifice cycle purchase scheme with tax savings through Evans Cycles.
- Childcare Voucher Scheme – Tax efficient childcare voucher scheme operated through KiddiVouchers.
- Electra's Beer & Wine Fridge – Free beers, ales and wine and even the odd gin and tonic! Grab a beer at our end of week Show and Tell sessions and see what everybody else in the company has been up to!
- Free Fresh Home Cooked Electric Square Monthly Friday Lunch – Monthly Friday lunches bought to us by one of many amazing local pop-up diners – all local and organic, meat and vegan recipes. A wonderful way to catch up with everyone on a Friday over a beer or a bottle of Kombucha!
- Eye-care Vouchers – Free eye tests.
- Train Travel Season Ticket Loan – Interest free company loan to spread the cost of an annual season ticket.
- Personal Trainer Sessions – Free gym sessions with our own Gobo personal trainer.
- Fast Growing Studio – We're only getting bigger, so there's plenty of room for career advancement.
- Industry Conferences Budget – Many of our employees benefit every year from attending conferences such as GDC in San Francisco, Siggraph, E3, Unite, Unreal Fest Europe and more.
- Free locally roasted Coffee & Speciality Teas
- Free Cereal Bar – Extensive granola, muesli and breakfast cereal selections.
- Extensive Video Game & Book Library – Borrow a game, a book or even a whole console!
- Free Awesome Swag – Amazingly designed Electric Square T-shirts and merch, with the now iconic Electra emblazoned on the front. New ranges out every season.
- Two studios in the heart of Brighton – Electric Square South is right next to the Royal Pavilion in an imposing 1933 building originally called Electric House, Electric Square North is in a contemporary space on the other side of the Royal Pavilion.
- Bring Your Dog to Work – Don’t leave Fido at home alone. Bring him into the studio to meet the rest of the team. Electric Square is a dog friendly employer!
- Exhibitions & Days Out – If there is an event happening of interest to us, we’ll happily spread the word, pick up the bill and see if any Electrons are up for going – we’re keen to get you everyone out seeing what’s going on.
- Project Wrap Parties, Cinema Nights & Team Social Events – We work hard together so it’s good to let off steam and spend some time together.