Want to be a part of an indie team bound for success?
Once Upon a Puppet is an award-winning 2.5D puzzle-platforming game set for release on PC and consoles. It features a mysterious puppet world, a stimulating combination of puzzle-solving and platforming, and a beautiful art nouveau inspired theatrical art style.
This is an opportunity for you to help us continue on what has been established so far and imagine the exciting possibilities beyond.
Current Project - Once Upon a Puppet (PAX West 2017 - Official Judge Selection)
In September 2017 we were chosen and offered a front row location at PAX West 2017. A video of the playable demo showcased at the conference over the course of the 4 days can be seen by following the link below.
Note: Mechanics shown in video are from 2017. Current 2019 mechanics have gone through incremental improvements after PAX.
- https://youtu.be/eyNJiY4U1Aw << Once Upon a Puppet PAX Gameplay Video
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a talented Sound Designer with solid experience, who would become an essential part of making and shipping Once Upon a Puppet.
We are proud of the game we have made so far and are very much looking forward to building the whole experience in the upcoming months. Come join our small team so that we can together bring puppets back to life for a new audience to enjoy!
Primary Roles & Responsibilities
- Design the soundscape of the game in a way to efficiently convey important information to the player without distracting them from being immersed in the gameplay.
- Create and maintain a library of high-quality sound assets adhering to industry best practices for organization.
- Provide an estimated schedule for delivery of all sound assets as they are iterated on through multiple phases of development.
- Create the musical themes of the game, including strong, distinct melodies for areas with different visual art themes.
- Work with our engineers to create the tools necessary for easy implementation of sound assets in the game.
- Work with our designers and artist to create assets to support their implementations and suggest your own creative input to receive reciprocal support.
- Provide daily updates on progress and roadblocks using our Scrum Project Management methodology.
- Collaborate with team to establish realistic expectations for timelines, estimates and project deliverables. Establish milestones with team that are tangible and satisfactory to achieve.
- Oversee development efforts on Once Upon a Puppet to keep product development on schedule and to specification.
- Facilitate and drive team communication. Ensure a common understanding and agreement on project scope and objectives, and on any subsequent changes.
- Be creative in a generic and managerial sense.
- 3+ years experience as a Sound Designer & Composer within the game industry.
- Must have shipped at least 1+ games and be officially listed, in the game credits, as being an integral part of the sound department.
- Sound and Music Portfolios demonstrating a range of themes and genres.
- Comfortable with working in a remote team. Choosing face-to-face video conversation over chat messages.
- Knowledge working in Unity as a Sound Designer
- Knowledge of game creation methods and how they can help during production.
- Understanding of game development pipelines and iterative process improvement.
- Attention to detail, timely follow-up and strong organizational skills. Strong capability to multitask and prioritize.
- The ability to provide multiple asset proposals and rapidly iterate on feedback.
- Working knowledge of hardware and software game industry trends.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Drive suite tools.
- A desire to learn and be proficient outside of her/his comfort zone.
- Experience working with a remote team and using video conferencing software.
- SCRUM Agile (or other) methodology experience.
- Most of the team works between 11am-7pm (GMT/UTC +1h)
- Job Type: Part/Full-time (minimum 20h per week)
- Salary/Rate: Dependent on knowledge, skill and experience level (Indie restrictions apply)
- This is a minimum 3 months long term contract role with a possible extension
- We are looking for candidates that can start soon or immediately
Please introduce yourself and send your CV/resume & cover letter to Contact(at)FlatterThanEarth.com with subject header: Sound Designer@FTE - Full Name - Current Location
About Flatter Than Earth
Flatter Than Earth is a game development studio located everywhere since all members are working remotely. We are devoted to creating immersive, fun fantasy worlds that have gameplay to match. We’re a small team, so everyone here has opportunities to provide feedback and unleash their creativity. Our current project, Once Upon a Puppet aims to capture the attention and unleash the imagination of gamers of all ages. We work in Unity, and we plan to launch on PC/Mac and soon after Consoles.