Brighton, England, United Kingdom · Engineering
We are looking for an accomplished, enthusiastic and self-motivated Senior Programmer to join our Brighton-based team working on an exciting, new and unannounced project.
The Senior Programmer is responsible for designing, developing, testing and implementing systems and game code, and is happy to turn their hand to any task required. They are an active member of the code team, setting an example for and mentoring less experienced programmers.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Designs, develops, writes, tests and implements systems and game code.
- Works with designers, artists and other personnel involved in the development process as required to create the highest possible quality product.
- Helps to develop technical design specifications and is able to implement them.
- Tests and refines gameplay features throughout the development cycle of the project.
- Estimates own tasks and delivers high quality code to that schedule.
- Mentors code team, passing on experience and expertise, and leads by example.
- Performs code reviews with the team to ensure code quality.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Proficient in C/C++ with a minimum of 4 years experience.
- 3 years experience working in the video games industry.
- 2 years experience in console or mobile programming.
- Worked on at least 1 shipped game.
- Knowledge of industry standard development practices: source control, asset pipelines, issue tracking, external QA and localisation teams.
- Exposure to post-launch on-going product development and delivery.
- Continuous integration and build automation experience.
- Worked in an Agile development environment.
- Experience with art packages and pipeline development.
- Experience with low level optimisation, shader programming, physics or mathematics.
- Understanding and experience of cloud server and network backend systems.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including with team members outside of the code team.
- Ability to manage time and workload effectively including planning, organising and prioritising in conjunction with the code team.
- Writes clear, debuggable, maintainable and performance targeted code.
- Able to design and create complex systems from start to finish, formulating and realising creative solutions to novel problems.
- Able to break down and structure tasks to meet deadlines efficiently.
- A professional ‘can do’ attitude and a strong team player.
- Enjoys mentoring and coaching less experienced programmers.
- Highly self-motivated with a positive mental attitude and pride in delivering quality.
- Excellent bug diagnosis and debugging skills.
- Demonstrable portfolio of relevant extra-curricular or hobbyist projects.