SENIOR GAME SCRIPTER - Brighton, UK
What We Need:
We are looking for a world class game scripter who combines a strong background in mechanics design with an incredible aptitude for scripting. A designer who has a passion for driving the creative design that brings unique and diverse player & enemy abilities to life. The ideal candidate also has the ability to script using LUA and visual script, ensuring abilities are brought to life in the way that designer envisions.
This role is a senior level design and/or technical design position focused primarily on delivering the vision and in-game script/assets for our newest title. You will work directly with the combat, player, and enemy design leads, as well as gameplay engineers to ensure the abilities you deliver match the ultimate vision for the game we're developing together. The abilities you create will enable players to succeed in wondrous fashion, or enable the game's enemies to defeat the players with ease.
What You Will Do:
Who We Think Will Be a Great Fit:
- Creating the high level designs for player and enemy abilities
- Collaborate with the combat, player, and enemy design leads to create cohesive characters and enemies
- Communicate with gameplay engineers on the building of an underlying system for the rapid creation and iteration of player and enemy abilities
- Scripting, using both LUA and Visual Script (C++ could be substituted for LUA)
- Determine the best way to prototype, and plan the transition of script to code later in development
While mastery of craft, demonstrated experience, and a quintessential ability to communicate well are all essential aspects of the position, we value a number of other elements as well; creative, technical, and cultural:
Who We Are:
- Scripting experience in previously shipped games using LUA + Visual Scripting. Ideally you have shipped at least 2 AAA console games within a scripting or technical design role
- A keen sense for gameplay mechanics, particularly if you've shipped games with responsibility for their delivery
- A strong understanding of design tool frameworks, and how both script and visual script co-exist
- Ability to work independently in a team environment
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across multiple locations effectively
- A true love of gaming. We find time at work and at home to engage in titles across the spectrum of gaming, from the newest AAA releases to the novelist of indie titles, and the most obscure mobile games
- A huge appetite for entertainment in general. Great stories, great interactions, great experiences, and great creativity can be observed in nearly every form of entertainment, whether that be a local play, the newest movie, a hit series on Netflix, or a book you simply can't put down. We're voracious consumers of entertainment, taking inspiration from anything and everything we can
- Positive by nature. While we're quick to give feedback and hold each other accountable to an incredibly high bar for quality, we're supportive of each other and the game we're making
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the award-winning Mafia III. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds are wildly different, one thing binds us all together - the belief that "Every Player's Story is Unique." We are comprised of a diverse group of people, from industry veterans with experience working on big franchises, to talented former indie entrepreneurs and recent graduates. Hangar 13 is based in four vibrant locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic). We are currently hard at work on our next AAA titles.
This role is based within our Brighton location, who will partner with the other Hangar 13 sites in California and the Czech Republic to develop all of our future games as one global team. Led by General Manager Nick Baynes, Hangar 13's Brighton location provides the opportunity to work on big-budget, AAA console and PC games using bleeding-edge proprietary engine technology.