SENIOR DESIGNER: MISSIONS - Brighton, UK
combine incredible level design, smart use of mechanics and interesting characters to surprise and delight
What We Need:
Hangar 13 is looking for an experienced Mission Designer to join the team in Brighton and help to form the core of a new design group. As far as our games are concerned, Missions are stories the player can experience that combine incredible level design, smart use of mechanics and interesting characters to surprise and delight.
What You Will Do:
Who We Think Will Be A Great Fit:
- You will document, build, implement, bug-fix and "own" your ideas, overseeing them from concept through to final release
- You will create innovative gameplay experiences that immerse the player in the game
- You will cooperate with the entire design team and other departments to maximize use of existing game systems, and support the needs of fellow developers
- You will prototype and pitch your own design ideas to the team
- You will mentor junior designers, helping them improve their design practices
You are a master of your craft and only need to be given the proper stage and tools in order to shine. You have a proven track record of mission design work on a released AAA title. It was a great game, you learned a lot and your missions were chock full of compelling gameplay. Conceptual and practical aspects of game design? Check. You're savvy, and comfortable, with both. Naturally you're experienced with 3D world and level building tools as showcased in your previous work, and all those shout-outs in the Twitterverse.
We are a close knit studio and work in small strike teams, collaboratively. (You're excited to hear this because you thrive in a small team environment, are open to constructive criticism and know how to listen, as well as give, feedback to others.) You're comfortable with a development schedule that is playtest-driven and focused on iteration and polish. You're a gamer. You are passionate about games past, present and future. Being a self-motivated and proactive individual you are always learning new things, new techniques and pushing the boundaries of your craft. Major Skills In:
Bonus Extra Points For:
- Quest or Mission design; player flow through a space, player goals
- Mechanics and level experience; player mechanics, system design, etc.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across multiple locations effectively
Who We Are:
- You have experience with programming or scripting
- You have experience developing Open World games
- You have a passion for creating rich narrative experiences
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the award-winning Mafia III. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds are wildly different, one thing binds us all together - the belief that "Every Player's Story is Unique." We are comprised of a diverse group of people, from industry veterans with experience working on big franchises, to talented former indie entrepreneurs and recent graduates. Hangar 13 is based in four vibrant locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic). We are currently hard at work on our next AAA titles.
This role is based within our brand new Brighton location, who will partner with the other Hangar 13 sites in California and the Czech Republic to develop all of our future games as one global team. Led by General Manager Nick Baynes, Hangar 13's Brighton location provides the opportunity to work on big-budget, AAA console and PC games using bleeding-edge proprietary engine technology.