Brighton, England, United Kingdom · Engineering
Electric Square is a game development studio founded by industry veterans Jon Gibson and Tony Beckwith. Based in Central Brighton, Electric Square sparked into life as sister studio to the renowned , which won slots on group.
We are looking for passionate and talented R&D Programmers to join REACTOR, our in-house applied research and development team. REACTOR is an innovation strike team which works with the game teams to help build unique features and to find effective solutions to hard technical problems.
The R&D Programmer has a curious mind that immerses itself in difficult problems, breaking them down and drawing parallels with related problems that may reveal the path to a solution. They are able to brainstorm potential solutions and as skilled technical practitioners they are able implement prototype solutions and evaluate the merit and suitability of each for the project. Once a solution is chosen they will work with relevant disciplines on the game teams to implement the solution and work with the team to get it shipped. Throughout this process they will seek opportunities to share progress with the team and inspire fellow team members.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Strives to produce work to the highest standard.
- Plays a key role in taking an idea from early brainstorming to production-hardened implementation.
- Self planning, finds the fastest path to successful implementation within challenging time and resource constraints.
- Keeps the team in the loop and involved with the R&D work and keeps communication flowing to ensure the work stays relevant and adapts as the requirements evolve.
- Champions the work of the REACTOR within the studio.
- Raises profile of our work and of the studio in the community by preparing articles and conference talks.
- Performs code reviews with the team to ensure code quality.
- Works with designers, artists and other personnel involved in the development process as required to create the highest possible quality product.
- Develops technical design specifications and is able to implement them.
- Proficient in C/C++.
- Computer Science degree.
- Experience with rapid prototyping in search of a technical solution.
- Advanced Computer Science degree such as MSc or PhD.
- Experience of the a full product development cycle, from preproduction to shipping.
- Experience playing a key technical role in shipping a feature.
- Experience profiling and optimising performance critical code.
- Demonstrable portfolio of relevant extra-curricular or hobbyist projects.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including with team members outside of the code team.
- Skilled technical practitioner able to explore a large solution space rapidly.
- Writes clear, debuggable, maintainable and performance targeted code.
- Ability to explain complex technical ideas to a non-technical disciplines including project directors and production in a consumable way.
- Ability to evaluate whether a solution is suitable for production.
- A professional ‘can do’ attitude and a strong team player.
- Highly self-motivated with a positive mental attitude and pride in delivering quality.
- Excellent bug diagnosis and debugging skills.
- Bonus Anniversary Holidays: An additional day of annual leave for each year’s anniversary working at Electric Square up to a maximum of 30 days of annual leave entitlement.
- Project Team Bonus Pools.
- Company Pension Scheme – Employer contribution matching award winning pension scheme provided by NEST under the UK governments automatic enrolment scheme.
- Private Medical Insurance Scheme – Full private medical cover provided by AXA PPP Private Healthcare.
- Private Dental Insurance Scheme – Full private dental cover provided under our Dental plan company scheme.
- Cycle to Work Scheme – Salary sacrifice cycle purchase scheme with tax savings through Evans Cycles.
- Childcare Voucher Scheme – Tax efficient childcare voucher scheme operated through KiddiVouchers.
- Eye-care Vouchers – Free eye tests.
- Free 30 days bus pass – Enjoy a free 30 days bus pass to all new joiners across the Brighton & Hove bus service.
- Train Travel Season Ticket Loan – Interest free company loan to spread the cost of an annual season ticket.
- Personal Trainer Sessions – Free gym sessions with our own Electric Square personal trainer at Alive Gym.
- Health and Wellbeing Allowance - £50 per month to spend on your choice of a range of healthy activities.
- Fast Growing Studio – Plenty of room for career advancement.
- Free locally roasted Coffee by Pharmacie, the best in Town & Speciality Teas.
- Electric Square Cereal Bar – Extensive granola, muesli and breakfast cereal selections. Keeping those bellies full.
- Kitchen & Equipment – Free use of our Kitchen which includes toastie makers, Nutri-bullets, amazing coffee machine and microwaves – all great for knocking up some tasty lunchtime treats!
- Fresh Home Cooked Electric Square Monthly Friday Lunch – Monthly Friday lunches bought to us by the amazing Ellie from Forgotten Cuts – all local and organic, meat and vegan recipes. A wonderful way to catch up with everyone on a Friday over a beer or a bottle of Kombucha!
- Fresh Fruit & Healthy Snacks – Provided every day to keep you healthy.
- Pastries, Cakes & Doughnuts – For the odd naughty pleasure, we are always pleased to see any homemade treats bought in too.
- Soft Drinks Fridge – A large range of free chilled soft drinks, from Kombucha, to organic fizzy soft drinks and filtered water on tap.
- Electric Square Beer & Wine Fridge – Free craft beers, cider, wine and even the odd gin and tonic! Grab a beer at our end of week Show and Tell sessions and see what everybody else in the company has been up to!
- Extensive Video Game & Book Library – Borrow a game, a book or even a whole console!
- Free awesome T-shirts – Amazingly designed Electric Square T-shirts available, with a new colour range coming out each season. Be a trend setter!
- Two studios in the heart of Brighton– Electric Square South is right next to the Royal Pavilion in an imposing 1933 building originally called Electric House, Electric Square North is in a contemporary space on the other side of the Royal Pavilion.
- Bring Your Dog to Work Days – Don’t leave Fido at home alone. Bring him into the studio to meet the rest of the team. Electric Square is a dog friendly employer!
- Exhibitions/ Days out – If there is an event happening of interest to us, we’ll happily spread the word, pick up the bill and see if any Electrons are up for going – we’re keen to get you everyone out seeing what’s going on.
- Project Wrap Parties, Cinema Nights & Team Social Events – We work hard together so it’s good to let off steam and spend some time together.