As Narrative Writer, Esports Broadcast (or Story Development as it's known internally), you'll be on the edge of the latest esports action, planning and crafting content for millions of esports fans in Europe and around the world. Your research-oriented approach keeps you on the cusp of breaking news, and you'll combine this knowledge with your wordsmith savvy to ensure scripts are on point leading up to and during live broadcasts, interviews, and in-depth analysis. You'll also work directly with the Stats Coordinator to pitch and develop stories, working with the entire Esports team to bring them to fruition.
- Write live shows with the help of casters, analysts, statisticians, and producers to build a season-long narrative, help develop graphics, and distill relevant stats into one clean and effective script to be used across the production team
- Contribute to weekly editorial meetings where you and your team will set goals and ideate projects and stories that'll appear on the next broadcast and beyond
- Take charge of game day by managing rundowns, editing copy, reorganizing segments, and taking story notes on the fly
- Work under a deadline for live broadcasts every week, sometimes packing your bags for events both domestically and abroad
- Completely own assigned segments of a show, from coordinating guests to tracking assets and deliverables
- Stay on the bleeding edge of esports news, tracking and defining the newest storylines
- Split time between working in the office and in the studio, moving between prep work and the master control room
- 2-3+ years of writing for live sports broadcast outlets or similar journalistic fields
- Excellent copyediting skills. You know how to turn ideas into copy, and have the ability to turn the mundane into engaging, exciting reads that don't get old.
- Familiar with all standard broadcast and video editing equipment and software
- Extensive knowledge across a variety of esports, particularly League of Legends and VALORANT. You not only know the pro players and franchises, but understand high-level strategy and can hold your own in debates with professional analysts
- Yo are up to date with the esports industry. You understand how to write about pro players, development of teams, and tales of glory and heartbreak told week after week
- You must have a flexible attitude to working hours with available shifts outside of the normal working day
- Can demonstrate an understanding of the Riot brand, across our multiple IPs.
- You have experience of working in collaborative teams. You take into account expert opinions and leverage the knowledge of those around you to bring together graphics, stats, and talent to craft the best story
- Undergraduate degree in Journalism, Communications or similar fields
- Able to work with video editors to help craft story
Let's Thrive Together:
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Commuting allowance
- Play funds so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- Daily lunch, snacks and fruits in the office
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to nonprofits
- Travel allowance
- Wellness allowance
Because together we are better
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games. We know that fresh and varied perspectives will make us better at what we do, so however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, we're excited to hear from you. Don't be discouraged if you feel you don't fully meet every single one of the requirements for a particular role, there's always room for growth at Riot. If you spot a role that will make you want to jump out of bed in the morning, we are waiting to hear from you!