Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the award-winning Mafia III. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds are wildly different, one thing binds us all together - the belief that "Every Player's Story is Unique." We are comprised of a diverse group of people, from industry veterans with experience working on big franchises, to talented former indie entrepreneurs and recent graduates. Hangar 13 is based in four vibrant locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic). We are currently hard at work on our next AAA titles.
What We Need:
Hangar 13 is looking for a Narrative Director to drive narrative vision, and work with the narrative and design departments to create best-in-class stories, characters, and content for our current project.
Because of our studio's emphasis on narrative, and the overwhelmingly positive response to the narrative of Mafia III, this is an exciting and unique opportunity to become a founding member of a new Hangar 13 team.
What You Will Do:
Who We Think Will Be A Great Fit:
- Work with the Game Director to define and champion the project narrative pillars and vision
- Manage, guide and mentor a staff of narrative designers and writers (full-time and contract) across multiple locations
- Own and drive the creation and execution of the core story including the writing of dialogue and other narrative elements
- Collaborate with the design team in both the design and implementation of narrative content/briefs using game tools
- Represent the game's narrative vision to other departments during brainstorm sessions, reviews, and other meetings as necessary
- Provide meaningful and valid feedback to the narrative team and design during play sessions
- Drive casting and direct VO and performance capture sessions as necessary
- Help drive the development of narrative and cinematic tools
- You love stories. You love consuming them, you love creating them, and you love dissecting them. An appreciation for multiple genres (not just fantasy and sci-fi) is preferred. You can pull examples of best writing practices from movies, TV, novels, and games. You have a strong desire to elevate the craft of writing in video games
- Credit on at least two shipped video games as a lead narrative designer, lead writer or other creative lead (similar experience in a related industry will also be considered)
- Must have strong writing skills, particularly in regards to dialogue
- Must have a deep understanding of story logic, plotting, and how narrative and game design intersect
- Past experience working with actors and directing VO sessions
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across multiple locations effectively
- Ability to delegate (without micromanaging)