Arkane Studios - Austin @ Austin, TX, US
Arkane Studios is looking for skilled Senior Level Architect to join our team in developing quality games for PC and console systems. Level Architects will work closely with Level Designers to create immersive levels that blend artistic quality with gameplay design.
· Strong eye for interesting architectural spaces – and mindful of variation in volumes, circulation, lighting, detail distribution and scene composition
- Experience in designing game levels that support differing play styles and which offer a high level of player engagement.
- Demonstrate initiative and operate self-sufficiently.
- Ability to objectively analyze player experience in your own levels and in those of teammates, offer solutions to problems, and recommend areas for improvements
- Interact with and synthesize information from various departments including Environment Art, Level Design, Concept, AI, and Systems, and understand how to account for their needs in your levels.
· 5+ years of game industry and or (significant) modding experience
· At least one shipped title in the AAA space or (significant) modding experience
· Good handling and experience of (at least one) 3D software such as Maya for modeling
· Good handling and experience of (at least one) game editors such as Unreal 4, CRYENGINE, Unity, etc.
· Capable of identifying and supporting gameplay needs and constraints within a game level
· Understanding of modular construction methods as it relates to design, memory and performance
· Excellent organization and time management skills
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Must be a self-motivated and energetic team player with a very strong work ethic and cooperative attitude
· Passion for games and gaming
· Experience in photography, cinema or other related domains is a plus As part of the application process, please submit samples of level design(s).
· Responsible for designing and building a FPS level and maintaining it until release
· Partner with Level Designers who will provide narration, game ideas and scripting and collaborate with the Environment Artists who provide art support for textures, final models, etc.
· Visual reference research and proposal
· Geometry and levels prototyping (3D concepting of assets/architecture – artistic, high fidelity gray box)
· Lighting – for both player navigation and mood
· Set dressing and asset placement/environmental storytelling
· Polish and bug fixing
· Performance Evaluation and Optimization for Levels
· Work closely with the Lead Level Architect and other Art Leads to ensure levels meet quality guidelines
Work closely with the Lead Level Architect to help guide others in best practices and to mentor more junior team member
A ctively contribute to the quality elevation of the game by bringing new ideas, perspectives, and solutions to the project and team
Design and build large areas with a holistic approach and awareness of spatial relationships between landmarks