LEAD TECHNICAL ANIMATOR
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the award-winning Mafia III. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds are wildly different, one thing binds us all together - the belief that "Every Player's Story is Unique." We are comprised of a diverse group of people, from industry veterans with experience working on big franchises, to talented former indie entrepreneurs and recent graduates. Hangar 13 is based in four vibrant locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic). We are currently hard at work on our next AAA titles.
This role is based in our Novato studio, working at the very heart of feature development for a brand new AAA console game. You will be part of a multi-discipline team, working on the gameplay innovations that will make our next title something special.
What We Need:
We are looking for a talented lead technical animator who is adept at problem solving for unexpected and unique challenges that come with proprietary tech. In addition, you can act as a hub and facilitator of technical knowledge for Engineering, Design, and Art.
What You Will Do:
Who We Think Will Be A Great Fit:
- Collaborate with technical artists and establish pipeline and procedures.
- Manage technical artists, mentor and guide the team.
- Create Animation and Art tools for artists and animators.
- Own all aspects of the animation export pipeline
- Work with TDs to integrate final character rigs in game
- Manage the online Animation database, including cleaning up of obsolete data
- Communicate with Design and Engineering to better anticipate and advise on animation related technical issues
- Help generate and setup assets needed for the game's animation systems. This includes overlays, mirror tables, and templates.
- Occasional creation of visual scripts for world interactions
- Work with animators to resolve any roadblocks to their workflow
You are someone who can see the bigger picture, but also not lose track of the nitty gritty details. Someone who is comfortable planning expandable pipelines, as well as implementing ad hoc fixes that are needed for rapid prototyping. But also quick to learn about and integrate new systems and tech. Most importantly you are responsive, self-initiating, and work well with others.
- Experienced in a lead position managing technical artists.
- Expert with character rigging/skinning/setup
- Degree in Computer Animation, Computer Science or related experience.
- 7+ years' experience working with animation game systems.
- Expert in an industry standard scripting language
- Solid knowledge of Python, C#, C++, Java, etc.
- Worked with runtime animation systems such as layers, blend trees, rigging
- 1-3 Shipped AAA games.
- Expert knowledge of Maya or Motionbuilder.
- Strong creative and technical problem solving skills.
- Exceptional communication skills
- Ability to work independently in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across multiple locations effectively
Nice to Haves:
- Comfortable with version control software, particularly Perforce
- Familiar with asset/ Task tracking clients like JIRA and Shotgun
- Familiar with Havok and or FBX SDK
- Familiar with widely used animation techniques