Division: | Department: | Location: Uppsala , SE
MachineGames is looking for an experienced Lead or Senior Programmer to join our team in Uppsala, Sweden.
Our studio is located in central Uppsala, Sweden which is a small and vibrant city 30 minutes north of Stockholm with a historical heritage reaching back to pre-medieval times. It also has the oldest and one of the largest universities in northern Europe.
This is a permanent position starting as soon as possible. We will support your relocation and/or application for work permit if you have a non-EU passport and/or not currently residing in Sweden.
- Lead a team of engineers; facilitates productive problem solving and solution design through guidance and mentorship
- Contribute as a team member while managing day-to-day development issues
- Attempts to predict and avoid problems, while being prepared to troubleshoot and provide a resolution as needed
- Provide technical guidance for tools, frameworks, and technologies
- Ensure the project is built with the right methodology, coding practices, tech briefs, and code reviews; considers long term quality and potential future code sharing
- Identify project risks and plans mitigation strategies with the team
- Support the team to reach project milestones.
- Advocate for system features, tools, and process changes that would improve developer workflows and productivity
- Work closely with discipline leads and project stakeholders to achieve technical goals
- Work with internal development teams and creative teams to coordinate delivery of project milestones
- Adapt (/ is up to date with) to the new technological advances in the field
- Reports to CTO and works closely with other team leads to scope, plan, and schedule features
Expectations on a senior and Lead
- You are expected to lead by example and tutor any less experienced members within the applicable discipline. You can take on a mentor role
- You operate within given constraints (time/schedule and technical limits) but pro-actively work to constantly improve our processes
- You are able to plan out and complete work with minimal direction or oversight from Director/Producer
- Take initiatives to collaborate cross functionally
- Actively share your experience and knowledge with other team member
- 5+ years game industry programming experience
- 3+ years as a technical lead
- Programming experience on shipped titles on console, PC or mobile
- Very strong software architecture and engineering skills
- Very strong C++ or C# design and coding experience. Experience in large codebase systems.
- Excellent data structure and algorithm knowledge
- Ability to write clear, maintainable, portable code that conforms to standards and practices
- Ability to quickly adapt to new technologies and tasks
- You’re solutions oriented with great problem solving skills
- Self-motivated team player with very strong work ethic and cooperative attitude
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to build relationships with project stakeholders
- Last but not least, you’re passionate about making GREAT games!
Desired, but not required, skills:
- Experience with the C++ standard library and boost
- Experience with C++ 11/14/17
- Experience with C#
- Experience with profiling and optimization
- Experience with rendering technologies
- Experience with multithreaded and real-time systems
- Experience with network and online features
- Experience with idTech, Creation Engine, Unity, Unreal Engine
- Experience developing tools and workflows
- Programming experience with consoles (Xbox One, PS4, Switch)
- Familiarity with data-oriented design