London Studio are building an upcoming PlayStation 5 online game from the ground up. Quality is something that we are immensely proud to be striving for, and we are looking at putting the right team together to help take us forward with this brand-new project. New starters will be joining at the perfect time to get involved in shaping our plans for a game we are exceptionally passionate about.
We are also part of a wider network of PlayStation Studios and there are lots of opportunities for collaboration and wider support from our sister studios like Insomniac, Guerrilla, Naughty Dog and Media Molecule to name a few.
As the Lead Online Programmer, you will work together with multiple disciplines within our proprietary engine and game teams, to lead the development of the online features required for our next big title. These features could include networked physics and animation systems, game logic, matchmaking and session management, among others.
Scope of Work
Experience / Knowledge
- Help build a strong online team that will deliver the vision for the studio's projects.
- Lead, support and mentor the team to deliver high-quality code and solutions.
- Schedule, prioritise tasks, recruit, and mentor junior staff.
- Define the technical direction and develop innovative solutions for difficult online problems.
- Work closely with other teams to integrate online with other systems, like physics or gameplay.
- Help mentor junior members in the team and communicate clearly with other team members with minimal external help.
- Connect with external companies and contractors with assistance.
- You will be vigilant for and resolve new problems, delays and risks to the delivery of the team's objectives.
- You have outstanding communication skills and comfortable working across teams and mentoring staff.
- You are capable of reading and quickly understanding complex code.
- You are able to plan the work for the team including external dependencies with minimal input.
- You have experience leading a team of programmers.
- You are self-motivated and driven to creatively solve problems.
- You have robust software engineering and software architecture principles. A solid understanding of game architecture, which will include developing reusable software libraries. Experience in working with and interfacing to a large codebase.
- Knowledge of real-time client/server code, with an awareness of HTTP client and web services
- Excellent C++ programming and debugging skills
- Video game programming experience for online systems, including having shipped at least one AAA PC/console title at Senior/Lead level from concept to delivery
You'll be responsible for one of the core systems in our engine and as such your work will have a huge impact on the whole game and team. The ambition behind this title will be driven by the capabilities of our network layer and this role gives you the opportunity to not only bring that ambition to life, but also challenge the expectations of our Design and Gameplay teams into something that really stands out as a next gen PlayStation Studios game. Supervision
In this role we expect you to build and lead a team, so we need someone who is a self-starter and a great teammate. We are hoping you are the type of Manager who leads, constantly wants to improve, and can empower and steer a team. Culture Ambassador
We encourage you to bring your best-unaltered self to work! We know that what makes for a phenomenal team culture is our team showing up and being themselves, which means they own a part of the team spirit. What makes us great is that we accept our people and their differences. We hope you have a willingness to continue to build outstanding working environments for everyone and not just yourself. Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Advocate
You are passionate about Diversity and Inclusion, and to you, they aren't just buzzwords. You'll understand that we all play a role in making this a normality. You will understand that this label speaks to people's lived experiences that may differ from your own. You will embrace education around the subject and understand that your actions will showcase your commitment to DE&I, our culture and core values that promote inclusion and equality for all.
Our roles can be flexible in terms of work location in the UK. We will consider the individual's preference for hybrid, remote or onsite working. Unfortunately we are not in a position to accommodate remote working outside of the UK.
However, if you wish to relocate to the UK and require sponsorship, we can support you with the visa process.
We have so many benefits, and we felt that if we listed them all out here it might look like we are bragging! What we can say is that we have you covered, from health and wellbeing, to finance and personal development, there is something there for everyone! If you would like to know more head to our benefits and perks page!
We are absolutely committed to promoting and increasing diversity across the studio, welcoming applications from all groups who are underrepresented in the games industry and if you don't feel you meet 100% of the criteria, we offer training to upskill our staff.