A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK's biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
As the Lead Content Designer, you will work between the Associate Design Director and Design Team to provide design leadership and mentorship. You will take responsibility for the craft discipline of game content by establishing a high standard of quality in both how and what the content designers produce.
This role requires you to carefully balance your time between team leadership and some task contribution.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Associate Design Director in driving and overseeing the content design of Old School RuneScape. You must provide direction and feedback to ensure the team can meet the products goals.
- Line manage a team of designers, overseeing absence, performance, personal development, salary adjustments and bonus eligibility.
- Draw on your wealth of experience to coach designers in the key responsibilities required of them, such as technical implementation, creativity, game design and project management.
- Be a driving force and champion for raising and setting the standards for quality in content design.
- You will be embedded onto a development team working closely with other designers as a task contributor.
- Ensure in all parts of content design that we are seeking to meet the needs of our players and the business.
- Embrace the community driven pillar of Old School RuneScape, ensuring we are truly player obsessed. To do this you should seek to create a relationship with our community, appearing on social media and/or our livestreams.
- Collaborate with other disciplines to ensure we craft the best content possible. You must foster effective communication across all of Old School's game dev disciplines.
- Drive a strong and high-performing design culture which seeks to continuously innovate.
- Be respectful of all staff and strive to understand different points of view when resolving conflict. You understand the importance of looking at the bigger picture and seek solutions which resolve several problems together.
- Team first mentality through the philosophy of servant leadership.
- Experience in designing game content for a live game title.
- Strong technical abilities in scripting. You will be required to learn our proprietary scripting language.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to ensure you can confidently communicate ideas to technical and non-technical members of the team.
- Experience in mentoring junior design staff.
- Previous Experience directly in the MMO genre.
- A deep understanding of MMOs & online gaming.
- Ability to write clear and concise design documentation.
- A passion for older games. Old School RuneScape is unapologetically the 2007 RuneScape game at its core.
- Experience with roadmap planning.
- Previous Experience in line management with game designers.
- Experience or knowledge of subscription games.
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don't meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.#LI-Remote