This is your chance to work with an industry-leading studio who have a successful track record of producing successful AAA titles. With a range of top titles to their name, the studio’s objective is to combine technical expertise, flair and innovation to create and contribute to successful and memorable games.
Due to their continued success, they're looking for a Lead Character Artist to Lead, mobilise and develop an art team within a collaborative multidiscipline environment; define and track the schedule for the team, manage and mentor team members, and be a key player in the artistic style of the project.
- Develop performance and expertise within their team while furthering their own knowledge and expertise;
- Prioritise, plan and organise their own work and their teams work in conjunction with the Producer/Associate Producer;
- Be the main contact for a collaborating studio or outsource partner regarding the UI;
- Review and deliver work in accordance with the project's artistic direction and deadlines;
- Identify and set up best practices, work-flows and pipelines;
- Report to Production on the progress of work and any issues or risks relating to the project;
- Facilitate training initiatives for the team as required in liaison with the Learning & Development Manager;
- Find relevant solutions to problems encountered in their work;
- Rapidly integrate strategic changes in Direction into their team’s work;
- Make suggestions that are in-line with the game's marketing positioning;
- Keep open channels of communication across their team / collaborating studio / outsource partner;
- Produce schedules alongside the member of Production with respect of constraints;
- Act as a hiring manager to recruit highly skilled talents for their team and the studio;
- Manage the on-boarding process for new starters in their team;
- Regularly update their team and Production (including the use of ‘scrums’);
- Manage individual team members’ performance and progress;
- There may be some ability to travel needed for this role;
- Conduct appropriate ad-hoc tasks as and when required.
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent 3D Art skills e.g. 3D Modelling, texturing, composition and lighting)
- Good understanding of PBR materials, texture mapping, character rigging fundamentals and cloth simulation.
- Familiarity with data management software (such as Perforce) is desirable
- Excellent working knowledge of industry standard graphics applications (e.g. Maya, Max, Substance Painter, Photoshop, Marvelous Designer etc.)
- Knowledge of the video game industry and awareness of typical video game development processes is desirable (e.g. game engines, 3D model toolsets and production pipelines)
- Previous management experience / team leadership and mentoring is desirable
- Previous experience of working in the games industry or studio an advantage but not essential
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphics Design, Art or other relevant training an advantage