Brighton, England, United Kingdom · Engineering
We are looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated Programmer to join our Brighton-based team working on an exciting, new unannounced project.
The Game Programmer is responsible for designing, developing, testing and implementing systems and game code, and is happy to turn their hand to any task required. They are an active member of the code team, setting an example for less experienced programmers.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Designs, develops, writes, tests and implements systems and game code.
- Works with designers, artists and other personnel involved in the development process as required to create the highest possible quality product.
- Helps to develop technical design specifications and is able to implement them.
- Tests and refines gameplay features throughout the development cycle of the project.
- Estimates own tasks and delivers high quality code to that schedule.
- Performs code reviews with the team to ensure code quality.
- Proficient in C/C++
- 6+ month's commercial experience working in the video games industry.
- Worked on game engines such as Unreal.
- Knowledge of industry standard development practices: source control, asset pipelines, issue tracking, external QA and localisation teams.
- Exposure to post-launch on-going product development and delivery.
- Continuous integration and build automation experience.
- Worked in an Agile development environment.
- Experience with art packages and pipeline development.
- Experience with low level optimisation, shader programming, physics or mathematics.
- Shipped one AAA game.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including with team members outside of the code team.
- Ability to manage time and workload effectively including planning, organising and prioritising in conjunction with the code team.
- Writes clear, debuggable, maintainable and performance targeted code.
- Able to break down and structure tasks to meet deadlines efficiently.
- A professional ‘can do’ attitude and a strong team player.
- Highly self-motivated with a positive mental attitude and pride in delivering quality.
- Excellent bug diagnosis and debugging skills.
- Demonstrable portfolio of relevant extra-curricular or hobbyist projects.
- Company Pension Scheme – Employer contribution matching award winning pension scheme provided by NEST under the UK governments automatic enrolment scheme.
- Private Medical Insurance Scheme – Full private medical cover provided by AXA PPP Private Healthcare.
- Private Dental Insurance Scheme – Full private dental cover provided under our Dental plan company scheme.
- Cycle to Work Scheme – Salary sacrifice cycle purchase scheme with tax savings through Evans Cycles.
- Childcare Voucher Scheme – Tax efficient childcare voucher scheme operated through KiddiVouchers.
- Eye-care Vouchers – Free eye tests.
- Free 30 days bus pass – Enjoy a free 30 days bus pass to all new joiners across the Brighton & Hove bus service.
- Train Travel Season Ticket Loan – Interest free company loan to spread the cost of an annual season ticket.
- Personal Trainer Sessions – Free gym sessions with our own Electric Square personal trainer at Alive Gym.
- Health and Wellbeing Allowance - £50 per month to spend on your choice of a range of healthy activities.
- Fast Growing Studio – Plenty of room for career advancement
- Free locally roasted Coffee by Pharmacie, the best in Town & Speciality Teas
- Electric Square Cereal Bar – Extensive granola, muesli and breakfast cereal selections. Keeping those bellies full.
- Kitchen & Equipment – Free use of our Kitchen which includes toastie makers, Nutri-bullets, amazing coffee machine and microwaves – all great for knocking up some tasty lunchtime treats!
- Fresh Home Cooked Electric Square Monthly Friday Lunch – Monthly Friday lunches bought to us by the amazing Ellie from Forgotten Cuts – all local and organic, meat and vegan recipes. A wonderful way to catch up with everyone on a Friday over a beer or a bottle of Kombucha!
- Fresh Fruit & Healthy Snacks – Provided every day to keep you healthy.
- Pastries, Cakes & Doughnuts – For the odd naughty pleasure, we are always pleased to see any homemade treats bought in too.
- Soft Drinks Fridge – A large range of free chilled soft drinks, from Kombucha, to organic fizzy soft drinks and filtered water on tap.
- Electric Square Beer & Wine Fridge – Free craft beers, cider, wine and even the odd gin and tonic! Grab a beer at our end of week Show and Tell sessions and see what everybody else in the company has been up to!
- Extensive Video Game & Book Library – Borrow a game, a book or even a whole console!
- Free awesome T-shirts – Amazingly designed Electric Square T-shirts available, with a new colour range coming out each season. Be a trend setter!
- Two studios in the heart of Brighton– Electric Square South is right next to the Royal Pavilion in an imposing 1933 building originally called Electric House, Electric Square North is in a contemporary space on the other side of the Royal Pavilion.
- Bring Your Dog to Work Days – Don’t leave Fido at home alone. Bring him into the studio to meet the rest of the team. Electric Square is a dog friendly employer!
- Exhibitions/ Days out – If there is an event happening of interest to us, we’ll happily spread the word, pick up the bill and see if any Electrons are up for going – we’re keen to get you everyone out seeing what’s going on.
- Project Wrap Parties, Cinema Nights & Team Social Events – We work hard together so it’s good to let off steam and spend some time together