Welcome to Bossa Studios! An immensely talented, daring, multicultural team of individuals (or as we like to call ourselves - Bossians!).
Chances are, you know us as that quirky, London-based studio behind several critically acclaimed, YouTube-renowned hits, many of which have become an integral part of gaming meme culture (Shhhâ€¦ I doctor now!). These include Surgeon Simulator, I Am Bread and the BAFTA-winning Monstermind.
While most games studios are mainly driven by their bottom-line, Bossa is leading a movement of creativity-first. We create together. We laugh together. We innovate together. As we believe thatâ€™s the only way to build legacy, and the only way we can revolutionise the way in which games are experienced. Games that are truly fun and relevant to peopleâ€™s lives.
As part of the Bossaâ€™s Senior Management Team and reporting to the COO you will be responsible for overseeing the design discipline and designers within the studio. You will be a seasoned design lead and manager and have built, grown and improved teams of designers to deliver proven critical and commercially successful games.
You will be a mix of mentor, manager, collaborator and creator. You will draw as much professional enjoyment from the successes of your team and your colleagues as you do from your own personal hands on involvement in the games, something which you will still be required to do where needed.
- Quality - Increasing the quality of all games in development at Bossa.
- Management - Managing a team of designers, allocated across multiple projects.
- Mentoring - Working individually and collectively on a day to day basis to mentor and coach the designers.
- Development - Planning and coordinating an ongoing learning and development plan for the long term growth and improvement of individuals and the team as a whole.
- Communication - Maintaining frequent and robust communication with senior management and representing the design discipline to the rest of the studio.
- Hiring - Where needed, hiring and integrating new designers.
- Collaboration - Working with colleagues in other departments and our community of players in an open and holistic way to incorporate multiple viewpoints and deliver games which understand the multi-faceted demands of todayâ€™s market.
- Hands on - Whilst you will be predominantly working through your team of designers, you will still be required to pull on your own personal design skills in a more hands on manner. You will also understand that ultimately the goal is to impart these skills to your team and have a design department which is highly functioning by default and with you pulling them to even greater heights.
- Exceptional design instincts
- A deep understanding of design mechanics and systems, as well as game direction and vision
- Awareness of past, current and future trends
- Design awareness at an academic level, you understand the â€scienceâ€ of game design
- A natural affinity with players, how they think, and how to â€talkâ€ to them through our games
- A passion for the discipline, you derive as much interest from making games you wouldnâ€™t play, as those you would, because of the challenge and learning opportunities that this presents
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- A natural problem solver
- A fascination for finding new and better approaches to problems
- An open and inclusive approach to management
- You understand that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and you respect those around you
- A drive to learn, improve and share
- The ability to adapt to fluid situations, you know when to stick to the plan and when put it to one side
- Extensive design experience
- Solid management experience
- Minimum 5 projects shipped
- Experience of the full development cycle
- Multiplayer experience
- Multi-platform experience
- Experience with different business models
- Experience working with new and evolving technologies
- Annual Holiday Allowance - our holiday year runs from 1st January- 31st December. We offer all employees a starting holiday allowance of 22 days + UK bank holidays. This allowance will increase by one day after every year up to a maximum of 25 days.
- Private Medical Insurance (BUPA) â€" you will immediately be eligible to join Bossa's healthcare scheme which is provided by BUPA.
- Life Assurance â€" you would immediately be entitled to be part of Bossaâ€™s Life Assurance scheme which in the unfortunate event of an employeeâ€™s death their subsidiaries will receive a tax free lump sum payment of 4 times their annual salary.
- Pension Scheme â€" we match up to 5% of any money that you pay into the pension pot.
- Employee Assistance Programme â€" you will immediately have access to a 24/7 confidential helpline that assists employees with personal problems and/or work-related problems that may impact their job performance, health, mental and emotional well-being.
- Supportive family polices - six months fully paid maternity leave and three months fully paid paternity leave
- Cyclescheme - The Cyclescheme allows you to get up to Â£1,000 worth of bike and accessories through Bossa. You then pay a monthly â€salary sacrificeâ€™ to effectively 'hire' the bike and kit, over a 12 month period.
- Discounted gym membership
- BYOB - Bring Your Own Bossian, of course! - awesome referral bonus
- Eye Tests - Bossa will provide you with an eye test voucher and will also cover up to Â£40 towards a new pair of glasses.
- Travel to Work Loan â€" itâ€™s a scheme to help Bossians out with the way they pay for their work travel expenses. Bossa lends you the money to pay for your annual travel ticket up front. We then take out a repayment from your net salary on monthly basis which can either be spread over 10 months or 12 months.
- Healthy Mondays, free snacks, fruit, drinks and just about a 100 types of tea for you to enjoy
- Aaaand more: we have fantastic company culture, loads of social events, company updates (with booze and fancy non-alcoholic drinks) and we're in the centre of London (food is amazing here!)