Director of Game Design
Gram Games is the studio behind some of the most popular mobile titles like 1010!, Merge Dragons & Merge Magic and we have more awesome projects in the pipeline. We do things differently here: we work in small self-managing teams, enabling you to have an incredible amount of ownership, autonomy and impact. We'll never ask you to abandon your craft to focus on managing others or workload.
At Gram everyone is expected to have a razor-sharp focus on what creates tangible impact: impact on their team, impact on their work environment and impact on the overall company strategy. If you are motivated by autonomy, constant improvement, collaboration and a sense of belonging, this is the right job for you.
As the Director of Game Design, you will be the vision holder for Gram's premier game to grow it from a hit to an evergreen mega-hit. You have deep experience, love and intuitive feel for games, and a passion for leading creative teams.
You are the creative ambassador to other stakeholders, both within the team and beyond. You will ensure understanding of the design vision across disciplines and ensure design coherence and an excellent player experience in the finished product.
You are a proponent for understanding player needs and motivations and gathering data to establish a design strategy and are an evangelist for the process not only on the design team, but to all disciplines within the studio. As Director of Game Design, you will report to Gram's Head of Design and will be accountable for the design leadership of the studio's new title.
Required Skills & Experience
- Define, maintain, and communicate the creative vision for the project to ensure a best-in-class player experience
- Develop strong relationships with Art, Engineering, Sound, Product, and other departments to make that vision a reality
- Partner with Production, Product Management, and Business Intelligence to ensure proper positioning of the product, understand and build with our audience in mind, and inform the vision with analytics and data
- Define and drive problem-solving culture both on your design team and for the team at large
- Communicate and evangelize the vision for the game upwards to executive stakeholders, outwards to external partners and inwards to the team
- Guide development of features and systems to drive increased KPIs
- Ensure design cohesion and best practices across the team, and communicate them via documentation, presentations, and mentoring
- Review and provide feedback on systems, feature, and content designs and provide guidance to other leaders and designers
- Strong knowledge of the competitive landscape to ensure the team are developing a game that matches evolving player expectations and innovations
- Inspire, lead, and motivate a team of designers from diverse backgrounds
- Mentor and guide the design team on their respective career trajectories
- Impart your experience and methods to the team, and leverage their strengths and backgrounds to build a versatile team capable of tackling any challenge
- An experienced Design Director or Creative Director with multiple shipped mobile casual games under your belt
- Experience with games-as-a-service design methodologies and building a living game for a large community of players
- A track record of implementing and improving design systems, workflows, and processes
- An effortless communicator, visually and verbally
In return for bringing your expertise to this top-priority role, we can offer some of the best benefits in the Games industry!
- Highly competitive salary
- Private medical care
- Relocation assistance for those moving to London
- Life insurance and a pension scheme
- Healthcare cash plan including dental coverag