Based in the heart of the North West’s vibrant game development hub in Liverpool, Firesprite Games is an independent game developer working at the cutting edge of game development on the latest hardware platforms.
We’re the creators of our own original survival horror IP, “The Persistence”, released to critical acclaim for PlayStation VR in Summer 2018 and we have also collaborated with many strategic partners on a wide range of high profile projects including (but not limited to) “The Playroom”, “The Playroom VR” and “Run SackboyRun”.
We have ambitious plans for 2020 and beyond and we’re looking for talented developers to join our studio as we embark upon this next exciting phase.
We are seeking an AI programmer to form a core part of a small but experienced. It’s a chance to get in at the early stages of a game and contribute to the shape and direction we take. You will be responsible for investigating, developing and maintaining our AI systems and creating believable behaviors and responses for the NPCs within the game. You'll work very closely with the whole of the team, especially with designers and the game director, to iterate, evolve and polish the AI behaviors to the highest quality possible.
You will get to work with a dedicated and talented team that has delivered some amazing quality titles. Come and join our successful, stable and expanding studio and create a game that’s guaranteed to be massive hit across the globe!
- Prototype, implement, iterate and polish new and existing AI behaviors and associated systems
- Produce robust, efficient, clear and maintainable code, while striving to reduce technical debt across the game
- Investigate and evaluate third-party tools, libraries, and frameworks
- Design and document animation/navigation/behavior processes, pipelines and paradigms, and oversee their dissemination and implementation across the game team
- Respond to design feedback to help meet the creative vision of the game
- Provide constructive input to and feedback on designs during initial design, prototyping, iteration, and polish stages
- Be a point of contact for designers, artists and other coders with regards to the systems you create and maintain
- Take responsibility for, and ownership of, the thornier elements of shipping a game, such as debugging awkward crashes, profiling and optimising code, and performing diligent testing of changes
- Use your development experience to help mentor and guide more junior members of the coding team
- Strong knowledge of, and experience working in, C++
- Confidence working with 3D maths (vectors, matrices, linear algebra)
- A good working understanding of animation data pipelines, including behavior trees, animation graphs, blend spaces, etc.
- A good working understanding of pathfinding/navigation strategies
- Proven experience developing state-driven behavior systems, and integration of behavior with animation
- General software engineering knowledge (OOP, design patterns, API development)
- Experience profiling and optimizing CPU performance of Realtime systems
- Experience debugging issues in large and complex codebases
- An intuition of, and interest in, 'game feel'
- A willingness and desire to learn, adapt and work outside of your comfort zone
- Approachable, with a proactive attitude towards cross-discipline communication
- At least one years of experience in a similar role, ideally with at least one shipped title
Additional or desired skills:
- Familiarity with working in Unreal Engine 4 would be very beneficial
- Console development experience would be advantageous
- Experience developing gameplay for VR would be useful